Experiences In The D | The Blog for Visit Detroit
The Visit Detroit Blog is part of The Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau (DMCVB).
Detroit revs up for Autorama
After you take in the shiny new models and futuristic concept cars this month at the North American International Auto Show, mark your calendar for a taste of car culture from the other side of the spectrum at Detroit Autorama Feb. 24-26.
The 65th annual event takes place at Cobo Center and is dubbed "America's Greatest Hot Rod Show." You can take a peek under the hood of custom hot rods and specialty vehicles while dreaming about owning one of your own.
Here's what you need to know before you go:
Get discount tickets
- Stop into a local O'Reilly Auto Parts store to get tickets at a discounted rate of $18 ($6 for children).
- Parking is available on the Cobo roof, in the Cobo Center Congress Street Garage or Cobo Center Washington Boulevard Garage. Or, consider taking the Detroit People Mover from another location in the city (perhaps after you grab lunch?) and get off at the Cobo Center station.
Expect a friendly crowd
- More than 75 percent of those who attend have been to Autorama before, so expect some avid fans and spectators — happy ones, too, since more than 97 percent of those who attend would recommend it to a friend (according to Autorama).
Celebrate the big winner
- Expect some buzz around the winner of the annual Ridler Award, which honors creativity, engineering and quality workmanship in a vehicle making its first public showing at the Detroit Autorama.
Stay for lunch
- Though food is available for purchase at Autorama, your trip downtown is a great chance to try something new for lunch. Try Red Smoke BBQ in Greektown or Townhouse Detroit in the Financial District — both of which are conveniently located near the Detroit People Mover route, so you won't need to move your car.
Immerse yourself in car culture
- If you really love cars, you may want to check out some of Detroit's automotive history at one of several museums or auto baron homes. Check out our list of car-themed activities for inspiration.
By: Heidi Tiano
Photo Credit: Championship Auto Show Inc.