Experiences In The D | The Blog for Visit Detroit
The Visit Detroit Blog is part of The Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau (DMCVB).
Detroit Salads that Won't Settle as Sides
It’s easy — and fun — to come up with a list of drool-worthy burgers and stick-to-your-bones comfort food joints in Detroit (like this or this, for starters). But a list of greener options in the city is just as appetizing. We won’t even comment on eating healthier because these options are so satisfying, there’s no room for guilt, anyway.
Here are our picks for some of Detroit’s best salads:
- Union Street Saloon on Woodware Avenue pays homage to a former landmark department store with its popular J.L. Hudson Maurice Salad, just as legendary as ever.
- Once you smell the aromas wafting from the on-site bakery at Traffic Jam and Snug, you’ll definitely want to order a crusted bread roll to go with your Traverse City Dried Cherry & Pecan Salad.
- Relatively new to the salad scene, 7 Greens Salad Company touts its “farm-to-fork” freshness with no freezer on the premises and locally sourced ingredients used whenever possible. And there are a lot more than seven choices on the menu.
- Green Room Salad Bar is a quick place to build your own salad on the go and make it back before your next meeting starts.
- Seva offers a completely vegetarian menu, and its Spinach Salad with chargrilled tempeh and smoky maple dressing is a definite winner.
- Meat is the star of the show at Texas de Brazil, but the seasonal salad bar threatens to steal the spotlight with more than 50 items to choose from.
- Detroit’s oldest Italian restaurant, Roma Cafe, kicks off its menu with the delicious Special Roma Tossed Salad or Antipasta Tossed Salad, both excellent accompaniments that also make great meals on their own.
- In Greektown, you’ve got to go with a — you guessed it — Greek salad. Try the classic version at Santorini Estiatorio for an unbeatable meal.
- Detroit is known for an array of authentic Mediterranean fare that other cities pine for, and there’s nothing fresher than the Fattoush Salad at CK Mediterranean Grille.
- When you’re in Mexicantown, there’s an easy choice for salad, even if it uses the name loosely: the taco salad at Mexican Village.
What’s the best salad you've ever had in Detroit?
By: Heidi Tiano