Experiences In The D | The Blog for Visit Detroit
The Visit Detroit Blog is part of The Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau (DMCVB).
Tips for Attending the 2017 North American International Auto Show
Car enthusiasts, mark your calendars: the 2017 North American International Auto Show will be open to the public Jan. 14–22. The show gives you the opportunity to see the vehicles and technologies that will shape the future automotive landscape. Make your visit a smooth ride with these tips:
- The show is held at Cobo Center, which is close to downtown hotels, restaurants and entertainment districts by the Detroit People Mover. Hop on it and head over to Greektown for a meal at Pegasus Taverna or Fishbone's.
- Parking is available on the Cobo Roof Deck, at Joe Louis Arena and in the Millennium Garage. There are smaller lots in the area, but you'll need to have cash on hand to pay.
- Tickets to enter the show are $13 for adults, $7 for seniors (65 or older) and $7 for children (ages 7–12) and are available at the door. Kids 6 and younger are free with a parent or guardian. Adult tickets can also be purchased online. Group tickets (30 or more) are available at a discounted rate of $9 per ticket.
- NAIAS is the perfect place to find your next ride. Unlike a dealership, on the show floor, you can physically do side-by-side comparisons of vehicles from various manufacturers. Take a virtual tour before you go so you can plan what you want to see.
- Download the Official NAIAS app (it's free!) for the latest news, photos, videos, live stream video coverage of new vehicles and concept cars unveilings, official Twitter updates from NAIAS on new products and show events, and a map to the show floor.
- Make the show a learning experience when you visit on Wednesday, Jan. 18 for NAIAS Education Day. Events are catered to students, with tours hosted by automotive experts, hands-on activities and career-based presentations. NED participants enjoy a discounted school ticket price, which includes a lunch coupon for pizza, chips and soft drink.
- Be sure to check out the winning NAIAS 2017 Poster Contest submissions from Michigan high school students, selected by an independent panel of recognized members of the local art community.
- Planning to attend on Saturday, Jan. 14? Sign up to run the 5th annual Auto Show 5K too! This year, the race starts and finishes at Joe Louis Arena. Best of all, if you purchase show tickets online, you can pick them up at the race. Register online until Friday, Jan. 13 or in person the morning of the race.
- Plan things to do around town after your auto show check out visitdetroit.com. Sign up for the Visit Detroit newsletter and take advantage of area discounts with The D Discount Pass.
By: Lori Bremerkamp